Friday, May 5, 2023

Luis Torres’ naive faith inspired him to help fellow abuse survivors

Luis Torres’ naive faith inspired him to help fellow abuse survivors

NEW YORK (NY)
National Catholic Reporter [Kansas City MO]

May 3, 2023

By Teresa Pitt Green

Read original article

My fellow survivor of clergy abuse, Luis Torres, first appeared in my well-ordered life one steamy summer evening. He arrived from his home on Staten Island, New York, in an old minivan with a bike strapped to a rack on the back. Where most people would have been thwarted, as was my intent, by the lack of a doorbell or knock, Luis was unfazed.

He was like that with survivors. He simply didn’t see barriers. He was all heart and responded to all hearts, especially to broken hearts. Perhaps it was his substantial suffering that won him, on the spiritual plane, a license for entry. At least, that was what I experienced that first evening on my porch. 

I had been told a fellow survivor of clergy abuse might reach out to me for support in his healing. I imagined the usual phone calls. What I encountered was someone standing…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment