Friday, March 5, 2021

Fr. James Martin, Lent reflection

Lent reflection

Every week through Lent, a writer will reflect on how a time of challenge brought unexpected grace

I love being a Jesuit. And I’m never sure where to start when I describe the reasons why. Certainly my life as a priest, my ministry as a writer and Jesuit spirituality are all things for which I will never be able to thank God adequately. But the most surprising blessings of Jesuit life have been my Jesuit brothers. The Society of Jesus can’t promise this in its vocational literature, but I had no idea that religious life would mean knowing so many people I consider not only friends but as close to brothers as I can ­imagine.

Life in a religious order, however, is not perfect – and members of those orders will be the first to tell you that. Yet even that lack of perfection has turned out to be the source of grace for me.

Many years ago, I lived in a Jesuit community (which no longer exists) where someone disliked me. Of course people in religious orders are like everyone else: they like some people but not others. And I’m not perfect by a long shot, so I don’t expect everyone to cotton to me. But this was on a different level. Perhaps a better way to put it would be to say that he despised me. For several years, he refused to speak to me, answering only when I directly put a question to him; he would sigh heavily and roll his eyes whenever I spoke in community; he would often leave the dining room table when I sat down to eat; and he occasionally muttered curses when passing me in the hall.



I apologise if this is disheartening about religious life, but most people have had these experiences at least once in their life. Religious orders are not immune from human frailty and even sin, as we should know by now.

Through the years, I tried everything I could to rectify or even ameliorate the situation. I struggled to remember what I had done to anger him. (I couldn’t recall anything.) I attempted to reconcile with him. (He threw me out of his room.) I spoke to my superiors, who were both sympathetic and solicitous. (They spoke to him, but nothing changed.) Eventually I learned to live with it, pray for him and, as one wise and elderly Jesuit ­counselled, simply be “cordial” to him. It was, however, a great penance.

A few years into this situation, I went on my annual eight-day retreat and confessed to my retreat director how difficult this was. In response, she suggested what I thought was an odd passage to pray with: the Rejection at Nazareth in the Gospel of Luke (4:14-30). In that passage, as I’m sure you know, Jesus stands up in the synagogue in his home town and, in so many words, proclaims that he is the Messiah. Initially, the townspeople praise what he says, but then, after he suggests that they will probably demand a miracle, they turn on him. While some modern-day preachers soften what ­happens next, we should be clear: they try to kill Jesus. “They got up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they might hurl him off the cliff.” But Jesus escapes, ­“passing through their midst”.

When preachers or commentators dilate on this passage, they often offer this insight: the townspeople couldn’t see God, even when God was right in front of them. The spiritual takeaway is usually a question: where do we overlook God in our lives because God is too familiar? Or: what familiar person, place or thing is a carrier of God’s grace that we might be ignoring? All good questions.

But in my prayer, something different ­happened, a shift in perspective. At the time I was writing a book on Jesus, and so I knew that Nazareth was a minuscule town of only 200 to 400 people. So when I imagined Jesus standing up in the modest synagogue (which, many scholars surmise, was not a building but an outdoor gathering place), I imagined him speaking to a small group of people who not only knew him, but whom he knew as well.

Suddenly it dawned on me: Jesus had to speak this truth before people he knew. Thus, he must have known, or have been able to intuit, what their reaction was going to be. It was a shock to have the story turned around that way: from the perspective of the crowd to the perspective of Jesus.

In my prayer, I imagined speaking to Jesus and asking: “How were you able to do this?”

And in my prayer, I heard him say to me: “Must everyone like you?”

It was a shock, not only in the clarity with which those words came to me (not aurally but felt) and their import. At the time, I felt like saying: “Yes, they do!” After a few more prayer periods, it dawned on me that Jesus was inviting me to be free of the need to be loved, liked or approved of.

That helped immeasurably in my relationship with this other Jesuit. And so, I thought, that insight was given in prayer for that ­reason. But God wasn’t finished.

Five years later, in 2017, I published a book called Building a Bridge, about the Church’s relationship with LGBT Catholics. Though people laugh when I say this, I didn’t expect the book would be a big deal. The first edition was physically very small, just 140 pages, and didn’t challenge any Church teaching. Mainly, the book encouraged the institutional Church to treat LGBT Catholics with the “respect, compassion and sensitivity” called for by the Catechism and the love, mercy and compassion called for by Jesus.

Within a few weeks, it evoked astonishingly strong reactions. First came intensely ­emotional responses in parish lectures, where I was stunned to witness standing ovations, receive tearful hugs and see long lines of ­people waiting to thank me. In time I realised that simply having the conversation made people grateful.

But then came the negative backlash, which I had anticipated, but not to this degree: ­endless personal attacks and hateful ­comments, including name-calling, from even supposedly reputable Catholic ­commentators, websites and magazines. It went beyond disagreement into hatred.

At times it was hard to keep up. I was called (you can look it up) “heretic”, “apostate”, “sodomite”, “homosexualist”, “false priest”, “wolf in sheep’s clothing”, as well as “pansy”, “fairy” and every homophobic slur you can imagine. The far-right website Church Militant directed their followers to “spam” my social media accounts, which led to ­thousands of hate-filled messages. Talks were cancelled after online campaigns. In my office at America Media, I received not only ­obscenity-laden phone calls but what I came to think of as Catholic death threats: none threatening outright murder but notes saying: “I hope you die soon.” Some attacks came even from a few clergy and members of the hierarchy, who often revealed their lack of knowledge of what I had written, preferring to get their intelligence from the web. One US bishop condemned the book in his weekly column but admitted halfway through his essay that he hadn’t actually read it.

Fortunately, I had the support of my Jesuit superiors and, a few months later, came the pushback to the pushback, with invitations from cardinals and archbishops to speak in their dioceses, a surprise invitation to speak at the Vatican’s World Meeting of Families in Dublin in 2018 and, finally, a 30-minute audience with Pope Francis in the Apostolic Palace in September 2019, in which we discussed LGBT ministry in the Catholic Church, and after which I felt I was walking on air.

But in those intervening weeks, the personal attacks brought me back to the question that I heard in prayer: “Must everyone like you?” The answer is, “No”. Not everyone liked Jesus, so why should everyone like me? The freedom from the need to be loved, liked and approved of was a great gift, as Thomas Merton used to say, “in the order of grace”.

At this point, you might expect an “inclusio” of sorts, in which I tell you that in the end that Jesuit who detested me finally reconciled with me. That’s not what happened, however. Instead, he simply moved out of the community. But the grace that he left behind was the freedom to try to be like Jesus. To be free of the need for approval, to place myself on the side of those who find themselves on the margins, and, when attacked, to be able to say, with Jesus: “Who cares?”

James Martin SJ is a Jesuit priest, editor at large of America and author of the new book Learning to Pray: A Guide for Everyone (William Collins, £16.99; Tablet price £15.29).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment