Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Nuns sexually abusing minors could become next Catholic Church scandal, experts say

Nuns sexually abusing minors could become next Catholic Church scandal, experts say

WASHINGTON (DC)
Fox News
April 9, 2019
By Hollie McKay
It wasn’t until Rev. Cait Finnegan gave birth to a baby girl more than three decades ago that the full trauma of all she had withstood was fully unleashed.
“It was my protective instinct, I just didn’t want my daughter to be alone. I stayed with her from the day she was born,” Finnegan, 67, a Catholic school student in 1960s New York and once an aspiring nun, told Fox News. “Because I had been abused in many places to many degrees. This was every day in school, weekends, she would come to my home.”
Starting at just 15, Finnegan alleged that she was repeatedly raped by a Catholic nun and for years, after finally escaping, lived a life on the edge of falling apart. She said she spent much of her life trapped in a state of rage, depression, and agoraphobia, unable to leave the house or be away from her daughter, now 36.
They lived in poverty as Finnegan said she was only able to take on odd jobs at night, as her marriage strained under the emotional weight.
“When my daughter was 12, we thought it would be good to register her at a Catholic School,” Finnegan recalled. “But then the nun opened the door, I had a flashback, I grabbed her and ran.”
Finnegan said her abuser died more than four years ago. But the deep, dark memories she has carried since adolescence remain.

1 comment:

  1. Cait's work has remained an heroic but quiet ministry for many years. Terry and I really revered her and her husband. Much love from Millie Dosh

    ReplyDelete