Saturday, June 9, 2018

Bobby Kennedy’s anniversary is not a moment for mourning but an hour for hope.


Bobby Kennedy’s anniversary is not a moment for mourning but an hour for hope.



Robert Kennedy shakes hands while campaigning for President in Los Angeles, 1968.  Evan Freed
What I think is quite clear is that we can work together in the last analysis and that what has been going on in the United States over the period of the last three years, the division, the violence, the disenchantment with our society, the division whether it’s between black and white, between the poor and the more affluent or between age groups or over the war in Vietnam, that we can start to work together. We are a great country, an unselfish country and a compassionate country. And I intend to make that my basis for running over the period of the next few months.
—From the last speech of Robert F. Kennedy, June 5, 1968
I was born in Hyannis, Mass., nearly four years after Bobby Kennedy died. But my belief in the nobler spirit of politics and in the dignity of public service were born on the day I first heard his name. Like thousands of others, I entered public service as a young person because I was inspired by his life and witness.

Read more.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment