by Jason Nark, STAFF WRITER
An Archdiocese of Philadelphia priest accused of trying to rape a teenage boy will receive probation after pleading no contest Monday.
Jury selection had been set for Oct. 24 for James J. Brennan's retrial on charges of attempted rape and endangerment, but a deal was reached Monday, according to the District Attorney's Office.
Brennan, 53, pleaded no contest to one count of simple assault and will be sentenced to two years' probation. He has not been in active ministry for more than 10 years.
Brennan's attorney, William J. Brennan, said he was confident that a retrial would result in an acquittal but the offer from the District Attorney's Office "was simply too good to refuse."
"It's the same level as a first-time DUI," said Brennan, who is not related to his client.