Thursday, September 15, 2016

Martyrs of Charity

Martyrs of Charity


Sister Margaret Held and Sister Paula Merrill (CNS photo/School Sisters of St. Francis and Sisters of Charity of Nazareth)
Like many of you, I am not embarrassed to say that I wept when I read the story of the terrible murders of two Catholic sisters who had served the poor in central Mississippi. They were stabbed to death in their house in Durant, Miss., by an intruder on Aug. 25.
I know that many people suffer violent deaths throughout the world, in places like Syria and Sudan, and even in the inner cities of the United States. And I know that many people give their lives to work with the poor, both here and around the world. But somehow I found the deaths of Sister Margaret Held, a member of the School Sisters of St. Francis in Milwaukee, and Sister Paula Merrill, a member of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth in Kentucky, inexpressibly sad. Both were 68 years old. What an awful, terrifying and violent way to die.

Read more..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment